Jan 10, 2008

I dood it

After a bit of hemming and hawing I finally made up my mind. I moved my druid to a new raid guild, staffed by people who seemed to have been around long enough to see the proverbial elephant.

So if you come looking for me I'll be in Absolution. So far the guild is small - 30 people or so, which I like a lot. But I don't know more than a half dozen of them. All in all they seem like nice folks though. One or two are a bit young for me - early 20s, but there's plenty of old salty bears like myself so it's a nice mix.

We're in the process of getting a second kara team off the ground -so far we have 70% for that and they are running on Sunday's with PuGs in the open spots.

I'd like to comment on moving guilds. It's probably not a wise choice to move a lot - I know some of the more serious ones look at your history and frankly - it's sometimes harder getting into one of those than it is to find a IRL job. I'm sure they have their reasons and they are good at what they do, but I tend more toward the less bossy side of things. I'm a paranoid at heart, but I'm old enough to let other people make their own foolish decisions too. If someone creates a problem that's the time to deal with it - not before. Otherwise you look like a bunch of stormtroopers.

I'm not German - (I'm actually Irish/Austrian - so yes, I can drink beer AND plan a military campaign)
so I tend to shy away from bossing people around - it's hard, sometimes my natural tendancy is to shoot first and ask questions later, but for all that I think of the other guy a lot too.

Even so, in moving guilds you need to be a little sensitive to the idea that /gquit can burn bridges if not done correctly. If you plan to move your toons around - talk to folks first. You don't have to tell the whole guild, but you should plan on talking to a leader or the GM. And if you have friends there you should let them know rather than letting them see you bail.

For all that... I found it really hard to leave my guild. There's something about playing with a group of people day in and day out that made that one feel homey. I've still got loads of alts and my main hunter there, but the actual decision to move even one toon was tough. Esp my tank. I've got no regrets. I'm sure I'll learn a lot in this new group, and I know they can handle themselves well so it's a good fit. But I'm going to have to make an effort to play on my alts a few days a week to keep in touch.

No comments: